How to apply
Applications to study in 2024 will be open:
- BA degree: 1 July to 30 September
- BCom, Law and BSc degrees: 1 July to 30 September
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE): 1 July to 30 September
- Honours in Psychology: 1 July to 31 August
- GEMP courses: 1 July to 30 September
- Occasional Studies: 1 July to 30 September
- Short courses: closed
- Corporate Governance and Administration: closed
What you need to know
Full detail of the application process for each of the above categories appears in the description of the category. HOWEVER: it is important to note the following:
- Degree applications can only be done online and only when applications are open.
- Short course applications need to be submitted at Wits Plus in person. Faxed, emailed or posted applications are not accepted.
- An application fee is payable and proof of payment must be submitted with each application.
- Once your application has been approved, you will be informed of the registration date.
STEP 1 – Apply Online
To apply online, go to www.wits.ac.za/applications/
- You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (order of choice does not matter).
- If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
- Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
- A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required.
- For assistance call the Wits Student Call Centre on +27 (0) 11 717 1888.
STEP 2 – Acknowledgement of Application
- You will receive an email from the University acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The acknowledgment letter will contain a person number (which will become your student number), and a reference person for you to contact for any queries you may have.
- All records of correspondence from the University will be available on the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Check the status of your application and to do items on the student self-service portal regularly.
- Keep your contact details up-to-date on self-service.
To view all correspondence generated on the Self Service Portal, go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Wits Student Self Service > Communication History
To check your Application Status on the Self Service go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Student Centre > Admissions > View Academic Application Status
To make an amendment to your study choices, please complete the Undergraduate Amendment Form and email it to [email protected]
STEP 3 – Upload Supporting Documents
- If you did not upload supporting documents at the time of application, you can still do so via the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Log in with your person number and the first six digits of your ID.
- Current Matriculants: Upload your final Grade 11 results.
- Already Matriculated: Upload certified copies of all your matric certificates/foreign school leaving certificates.
- Other Tertiary Institutions: Upload a certified copy of official academic records for ALL tertiary registrations, inclusive of statement/certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar. (Note that interim, self-service generated results will be considered for initial assessment purposes for GEMP applicants ONLY).
Download the Self-Service Guide here.
STEP 4 – Acceptance of Offer
- Current Matriculants may be made a conditional offer (depending on Grade 11 results). Please note that certain programmes have additional selection criteria (interview/audition/NBT).
- Firm offers can only be confirmed after receiving final matric results.
- Each choice of degree is treated as a separate application. The order of choice makes no difference.
- Communication offering a firm place and information about registration and orientation programmewill reflect on the self service portal, and registration and orientation details will be available on the Wits website.
- Places are limited, therefore you may only accept one offer. You are required to respond to the offer within a few days to secure your place.
Changed your mind about your choice of study?
- DO NOT submit a new application!
- Refer to the closing dates to see if applications are still open for your new selection.
- If you are certain you want to change your programme choice, contact your Admissions Consultant to request the amendment to be processed. It is advisable to avoid multiple changes.
- Should your contact details change (e.g. email, residential or postal address or contact numbers) update your new details on the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za