We are the first port of call for international students and offer a wide range of services to assist you with your journey as an international student at Wits.
Before International students are able to register you must complete the following steps:
Complete the Online Fees Estimator for the annual tuition fees, other related costs and the on-campus accommodation fee (if applicable).
Valid VISA Full-time: Study visa – this reflects that you will be studying at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
Part-time: Critical/General Work Visa/Intra-Company or Business Visa
Holders of Refugee Permits, Asylum Seeker Permits and Diplomatic Visas can visit the International Students Office website for requirements.
Payment of fees:
- 75% of the annual tuition fee is payable on or before registration, as well as 75% of the on-campus accommodation fee.
- This payment includes the annual tuition fees and other related costs.
- The balance of the fees is payable by 31 March.
- Postgraduate students registering in the course of the year; the balance is payable 30 days after registration.
- Fees clearance is to be obtained from the Fees Office.
- If you are sponsored, your sponsorship letter has to be vetted by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office (FASO).
Clearance to Register:
- Present your Passport, Visa (study, work) and proof of SA medical aid membership for the current year to the International Students Office to obtain the international clearance to enroll.
- First time undergraduate students must obtain a Matriculation Exemption.
For further enquiries email:[email protected] or visit the International Students site. After international clearance has been issued, please register for your academic programme as per your student status and your home faculty.
How to apply
Applications to study in 2023 will be open:
- BA degree: 1 July to 30 September
- BCom, Law and BSc degrees: 1 July to 30 September
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE): 1 July to 30 September
- Honours in Psychology: 1 July to 31 August
- GEMP courses: 1 July to 30 September
- Occasional Studies: 1 July to 30 September
- Short courses: closed
- Corporate Governance and Administration: closed
What you need to know
Full detail of the application process for each of the above categories appears in the description of the category. HOWEVER: it is important to note the following:
- Degree applications can only be done online and only when applications are open.
- Short course applications need to be submitted at Wits Plus in person. Faxed, emailed or posted applications are not accepted.
- An application fee is payable and proof of payment must be submitted with each application.
- Once your application has been approved, you will be informed of the registration date.
STEP 1 – Apply Online
To apply online, go to www.wits.ac.za/applications/
- You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (order of choice does not matter).
- If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
- Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
- A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required.
- For assistance call the Wits Student Call Centre on +27 (0) 11 717 1888.
30 June 2024 – Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV30 September 2024 – All other University programmes; Residence applications.
Does your degree programme have additional selection procedures? Some degrees have additional selection requirements such as portfolio and essay submissions, auditions or National Benchmark Tests. Please click on Additional Forms below to see if this applies to you.
Pay Application Fee
- Non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens
- Non-refundable application fee for foreign citizens of R700
- Payments to be made before closing dates
- Use your Person Number or T Number as reference
How to pay
Deposit exact amount into the University’s Application Fee account:
- Standard Bank, Account name: Wits University – Application Fees. Current Account Number: 200 346 385, Branch code: Braamfontein 004 805. CI Number 074A. (International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ). Use your person/student number as a reference.
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Wits Fees Office, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Braamfontein Campus East, Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa. Use your person/student number as a reference.
- EFT – Use your Person/Student number as the reference.
STEP 2 – Acknowledgement of Application
- You will receive an email from the University acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The acknowledgment letter will contain a person number (which will become your student number), and a reference person for you to contact for any queries you may have.
- All records of correspondence from the University will be available on the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Check the status of your application and to do items on the student self-service portal regularly.
- Keep your contact details up-to-date on self-service.
To view all correspondence generated on the Self Service Portal, go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Wits Student Self Service > Communication History
To check your Application Status on the Self Service go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Student Centre > Admissions > View Academic Application Status
To make an amendment to your study choices, please complete the Undergraduate Amendment Form and email it to [email protected]
STEP 3 – Upload Supporting Documents
- If you did not upload supporting documents at the time of application, you can still do so via the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Log in with your person number and the first six digits of your ID.
- Current Matriculants: Upload your final Grade 11 results.
- Already Matriculated: Upload certified copies of all your matric certificates/foreign school leaving certificates.
- Other Tertiary Institutions: Upload a certified copy of official academic records for ALL tertiary registrations, inclusive of statement/certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar. (Note that interim, self-service generated results will be considered for initial assessment purposes for GEMP applicants ONLY).
Download the Self-Service Guide here.
STEP 4 – Acceptance of Offer
- Current Matriculants may be made a conditional offer (depending on Grade 11 results). Please note that certain programmes have additional selection criteria (interview/audition/NBT).
- Firm offers can only be confirmed after receiving final matric results.
- Each choice of degree is treated as a separate application. The order of choice makes no difference.
- Communication offering a firm place and information about registration and orientation programmewill reflect on the self service portal, and registration and orientation details will be available on the Wits website.
- Places are limited, therefore you may only accept one offer. You are required to respond to the offer within a few days to secure your place.
Changed your mind about your choice of study?
- DO NOT submit a new application!
- Refer to the closing dates to see if applications are still open for your new selection.
- If you are certain you want to change your programme choice, contact your Admissions Consultant to request the amendment to be processed. It is advisable to avoid multiple changes.
- Should your contact details change (e.g. email, residential or postal address or contact numbers) update your new details on the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za